west elm/east main

Daniel & Emily's wedding took us north on Friday night, and we decided to make a getaway of it and stayed over in Chicago until Saturday. We spent the day browsing a few home stores, and after walking through all of them (Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware, Anthropologie - if that counts) - we decided West Elm fit us best. It fit so well, in fact, that we almost bought a chair there. But, we didn't, so for now our living room still looks just like it did. :)

I walked away inspired, and proactively pushing away the discontentment that can so easily overtake me.

There's so many coulds in life. I could have... I could do... I could be. But I don't. And I won't. And I'm not. And so whenever I see that something that I could have, or that someone that's doing what I could be doing, I have to remind myself to walk away inspired, rather than discontent. There is a way to joyfully absorb, appreciate, and admire the things around me that aren't me without feeling jealous and/or inferior every time. Whether I'm comparing my house on East Main to the stuff in West Elm, my life to a friend's life, or my cross to someone else's... there is a way to a position of peace.
The answer is in Hebrews 13. It's stated twice, because God knows we will forget a lot. :)

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me." (vs. 5-6)

"By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased." (vs. 15-16)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

loved

edelstein: before & after

tending