it takes a village

Just before naps, the kids and I were reading It Takes a Village by Jane Cowen-Fletcher. The library has become a favorite destination and my eyes are being opened to all of the amazing children's literature that is out there! What a rich place. It Takes a Village is about a little girl who went along to the market with her mother to care for her brother while they sold mangoes. The little boy got lost, but the story is about how he was in such good care in the hands of the other villagers who pitched in to meet his needs. It is a beautiful book, so reflective of where my thoughts have been going lately...

I've been working on a major project, and it's been such a lesson to me in how much I need and appreciate the other people in my life. The African proverb goes "It takes a village to raise a child" but honestly, it takes a village to do most things. Collaboration and gracefully accepting constructive criticism are not things that come naturally to me... but those around me have so much to offer! I need their support, encouragement, and experiences... not only for this project, but simply because I am a human being - made to live in community. We really do need each other, and we can find so much joy and fulfillment in our interactions and relationships with others.

The quote on my calendar last month was "Be with those who help your being" and I am grateful to have so many people in my life who fit that description perfectly. I love you, and I appreciate you putting up with me. :)

Also, if you have young children, or even if you don't, you should check out It Takes a Village from your library. It's really really good. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

loved

edelstein: before & after

tending