oregon

I should be doing laundry. But there are two things about that... 1) I'd have to get off this chair and go downstairs and 2) my clothes still smell like saltwater/sand and it just seems like such a shame to wash it off. ;)

Oregon was definitely just what I needed... we went for Taylor & Allison's wedding, but that was only a part of our trip. The first few days ended up being a getaway to the coast and it was perfect. We had a beautiful place to stay, a quick and short walk to the water, and some distance from home. Sometimes, distance from normal life gives me new resolve to parent well, to keep my house well, and to throw myself wholeheartedly into whatever it is that's in front of me. Our weekend away definitely gave me new energy for that. I'll admit that in some ways I was looking for a more pivotal, revolutionary moment - hearing God perfectly clearly and journaling about all of the wonderful things He was teaching me. But actually, what He taught me was fairly simple, and He didn't give me the chapter that summarized it all until we got home... so how's that for a dose of reality? :) He taught me about abiding... just simply being in Him. And He helped me release some of the fears I've had about being tested and tried... He reminded me that abiding in Him doesn't actually mean He'll rip my life apart (although sometimes it has been that way in the past), but it does mean that when He does purge, it's for both my good and His... that more fruit could come forth. (John 15).
Anyway, I'm so grateful for the time we had. It was so, so good.

IMG_1340IMG_1295IMG_1344IMG_1297IMG_1298IMG_1294IMG_1300IMG_1302IMG_1345IMG_1304IMG_1305IMG_1307IMG_1308IMG_1309IMG_1310IMG_1311IMG_1332IMG_1312IMG_1313IMG_1296IMG_1314IMG_1316IMG_1317IMG_1319IMG_1320IMG_1321IMG_1346IMG_1322IMG_1323IMG_1324IMG_1337IMG_1342IMG_1328IMG_1330IMG_1331IMG_1339IMG_1341IMG_1343
I loved everything about the coast in the Lincoln City area... the sand, the rocks, the waves, the cliffs, the colors, the wind... it was amazing. We had beautiful weather on Thursday, then rain Friday and Saturday, but we had been planning on that, and spent plenty of time inside by the fireplace, soaking in the hot tub, and just being together. I kind of saw the trip as an opportunity also for us to connect before Grant launches into a likely very busy, overtime-hours summer at work.
We stayed at Olivia Beach in this beautiful VRBO: https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p603721vb. I would highly recommend it - the location was wonderful, it was clean and beautifully kept up and decorated, and the owners were so easy to communicate with. It was also very reasonably priced and just around a 2-hour drive from PDX.
Saturday we left the coast and headed east for the wedding... that was beautiful too but I have almost no photo proof that we were there. The photographer posted some lovely pictures here: https://karakuenziphotography.pixieset.com/weddingoftaylorandallison/ Congratulations, Taylor & Allie!
Darwin & Jenna Sinn (and sweet little Fiona) were gracious enough to keep us overnight on Saturday night and we loved being there and spending Sunday with them in Silverton. Darwin took Grant on a brief berry farm tour right before we left on Sunday night, which he described as "extremely interesting". :) Below is Darwin on a berry picking machine.
KIMG0055

On our way back to Portland, we made a quick stop at one of the taco trucks, per Darwin & Jenna's recommendation... SO worth it. They are the real thing... it was fun to find a little piece of authentic Mexico in the Pacific Northwest. Who would have thought?

On Monday, we flew back to St. Louis with Matt & Kim and Marshall and Carl. So that was fun! Then we made our way to Mahomet and it was so good to see the kids, eat supper at Dad & Mom's, and grab our free cones at DQ before making our way back to Princeville.

And now we are in full recovery mode... re-learning how to do normal life at home. But like I said, there's renewed energy and faith for that... sometimes you just have to travel to realize how wonderful home can be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

loved

edelstein: before & after

tending