book review: next door as it is in heaven

51J3vSECbxL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_In some ways, this book reminded me a lot of another book I reviewed a while back - Staying is the New Going. It's about living in your neighborhood intentionally, invested. I read this book a while back and I'm just now getting around to reviewing it. It's ironic because I just finished a messenger conversation with a neighbor, and it seems like I should be able to do better than that right? :) I do talk to her in person, this just happened to be online, but still. It made me realize I hadn't been in touch with her in a while. And at another elderly neighbor's house there has been lot of activity that makes us wonder if her children are moving her out... sadly, I don't even know her name and hardly enough information to ask any questions. It's shameful.

So anyway, I have a lot of work to do in this area of "living out God's kingdom in your neighborhood". I appreciated the authors' approach to it, though. Their philosophy isn't overwhelming or even really more than an encouragement to live daily life and to be willing to have others come alongside you, and to be willing to come alongside others. We need each other a lot, but it also takes effort to live in community; it's kind of funny how that works. The effort is not only worthwhile, its also a biblical calling... to do life with others is good for all of us.

The authors also offered interesting historical perspective on growth and change in neighborhoods, particularly following World War II, and just how economic and societal changes and shifts affect the way that we interact with one another now. It was helpful and fascinating.

In my life, there's several people I can think of who have done an excellent job of choosing to invest in a neighborhood long-term, with positive results. It's inspiring, for sure, and this book is good encouragement to keep heading in that direction.

I received a copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers in exchange for my review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

loved

edelstein: before & after

tending