sewing: raincoats

When winter lasts this long into April, something to brighten the dreary days is a must. And this winter, I found refuge in creating three little rain coats for my three littles. Without doubt, working with laminated cotton was something I never would have attempted even a year or two ago; I have grown as a seamstress and I am thankful for that. They did not turn out perfectly, but they did turn out and we are getting such good use from them and I am so glad, in the end, that I did the project.
Here's a few photos, and then you can see my sources at the end.

IMG_4296

IMG_4292

IMG_4291

I & T both wear 4T clothing, and this pattern is free in size 4T, so that is what I used for both of their coats! I modified it for the boy version, and did not use the pockets on the girl version. For baby's coat, I used the baby-in-the-hood coat pattern in this book with a slight modification to add elastic into the bottom hem of the coat and also to make it longer.

Fabric: Cloud 9 Organic Matte Laminate Wildflower Red // Kaufman London Calling Slicker Laminated Cotton Lawn Bikes Blue // Cloud 9 Organic Corduroy Spring Quartet Droplet Navy  // Lining Fabric: French Terry Knit Stripe in different colors // quilted cotton muslin from Hobby Lobby // Buttons: from Mexico, can find similar by searching on Etsy // Zipper: this one that I found is excellent quality and T loves that he can zip it by himself! It's from Zipperstop on Etsy - an 18" separating metal zipper

A note: I actually prefer to sew with non-organic fabric. Organics can be tricky, especially knits. However, I did find the Cloud 9 organic laminate much easier to sew with than the London Calling Slicker. When sewing with the slicker, I actually sewed many of my seams over the top of parchment paper, and then tore the paper away. Otherwise my presser foot got stuck on the fabric and my stitches didn't go anywhere. Thankfully that was mostly just for topstitching and didn't take a lot of extra effort.

Boots: Gray // Navy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

loved

edelstein: before & after

tending