I will walk with integrity

"I will walk with integrity of heart
    within my house;
I will not set before my eyes
    anything that is worthless.
I hate the work of those who fall away;
    it shall not cling to me.
A perverse heart shall be far from me;
    I will know nothing of evil.
Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly
    I will destroy.
Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart
    I will not endure.
I will look with favor on the faithful in the land,
    that they may dwell with me;
he who walks in the way that is blameless
    shall minister to me."

(Psalm 101:2-6)

I read in Psalms this morning and thought I should probably copy down these verses dozens of times so as to write them on my heart - because this is, truly, the best summary I of what I want to be. I want to walk in a way that is blameless before the Father and be an example for my children. And I want to stay focused on things that are important and kingdom-building and life-giving. I want to turn away from pride and be faithful.

The verses were convicting particularly because I have been guilty of spending time on worthless things, and slandering people, and arrogantly thinking myself above others. These sins in my life have been the source of much pain for me - they break relationship, cost me precious minutes, and distance me from others. It is only by the grace of God that I can start each day new, and attempt again to walk in integrity and in righteousness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

loved

edelstein: before & after

tending